Sunday, October 23, 2011

Barebones Voiceover

Already here's the money aspect for all you beginners out there. Here is the BAREBONES that you would need to become a voiceover artists. The real big investment is gonna be if you need training. With this you can start voice auditions next week.

1) Computer and all accessories (Monitor, mouse, speakers, etc)
  • Doesn't have to be expensive, just ask the representative if this can edit video. Doesn't even have to be HD. Chances are the cheapest Desktop can do this.  As for laptops? I am not a fan because I like the speed of a desktop but it can be done. I say at the very least -$500 total.
2) Microphones
  • Firstly, don't buy the first guitar center mic you see. Don't even ask the rep. I'd recommend going to forums like http://www.vo-bb.com or  http://www.procommvoices.com/wordpress/choosing-a-voice-over-microphone  for specific microphones. There are only a few key things you need to know.
    • 1) USB or XLR. There are good mics of both kinds. XLR would require a PreAmp, USB doesn't. I use the MobilPre from M-Audio and a Audio Technica 3035 microphone. The set probably cost me about $300
    • Condenser: Only use them. I've never really heard of anyone using a non-condenser mic
3) Software
  • This can vary from person to person. At the bare minumum you can use Audacity for free.  I use a plugin or two and use a video editing software for editing but that's only because I was familiar with it beforehand. So just use the audacity.
4) Fast Internet Connection
  • Must have for uploading your auditions and if you wanna take a step further and make a website.
5) Audition Site Memberships
  • I will go into this later. Primarily, there are two Audition sites, voice123.com and voices.com. Both charge a $300 a year fee which is very steep, but this is my recommendation. 
6) Headphones (optional but recommended)
  • Some Vo artists use them, I definitely do. I have an Audio Technica ATH M50. It should be less than 80 bucks. The key is not to go overboard here, get the most real quality headphones rather than the over bassed headphones by Dre or Gaga. The headphones shouldn't add anything to the audio, you want to hear what the client will hear.
7) A microphone Stand (weighted preferrably)
  • Not going to be holding a mic and talking into it. It has to be a good weighted one that you can adjust (maybe about 50 bucks)
8) Pop Filter


That's all you need to get started!!! This however, is no guarantee of success, with this setup you can start making auditions for those membership sites. This doesn't mean getting an agent, starting a website, selling to local business, this is specifically aimed at the Bare Minimum.

There are also a few assumptions here as well, you have to have an email account, paypal account, microphone chord, (some way to get the mic to your computer--- preamp for XLR mics), a quiet place to do all of this and a willingness to learn the software. 


With these in hand, you can start auditioning for jobs right away.

For information about me

My Blog : Goal Become a Voiceover Artist
My Voiceover Website:  http://justindtorres.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment