Monday, October 24, 2011

The Benefits of Voiceover Work!

Admittedly, some people may not know the benefits of becoming a voice artist.

1) The Pay.  Starting out, it'll be slow, but at it heighth the pay can be very good. It's Acting for a living. If you're an actor, this should be your goal. Not having to wait tables or get a side job delivering food is great. Non-Union theatre, for the most part, won't pay your rent.

2) Work from home. Now, I've tried everything. Surveys, gambling.... lol. But, if you take the time to great a good enough studio for yourself, you will do work from home. I sit in my closet for a few hours a day, I know it sounds horrible but I love every minute of it.

3) The Possibilities. You're voice can be Everywhere. On the radio, in London, on websites, in cartoons, in videogames, everywhere. Thinking to yourself, "Hey, that's me!", is great! I remember I did a small videogame early on for troops going to Afghanistan, it was about how to interact with indigenous leaders. I just thought to myself, "That is so cool"

4) It may take you places. If you get great at this, people may fly you out to their recording studios and record there. Personally, that hasn't happened to me, but I'm also non-union and building my resume. Who knows, you could be in Atlanta at Williams Street hanging with the adult swim crowd.

5) Once you get the hang of it, it's easier than film or theatre in ONE WAY. More auditions, imagine if you had 20 film auditions today or 15 theatres had leads that they wanted to film and they all were within a mile from your house. You wouldn't care so much if you don't get them because tomorrow, there's 20 more waiting for you. You're bound to pull sooner or later, and if you're close and someone just like you get's the job, KEEP AT IT. Chances are he'll be working a job and the next one will go to you.


These are generalized benefits of voiceover work. Like anything it takes a lot of time and no one has a set route on how to get success. Only you know what you want. But, the Benefits are there!

No comments:

Post a Comment